Director of Brand & Creative | The Profession | [Remote, FT]
The Art of Education University is seeking an experienced and visionary Director of Brand & Creative to join our rapidly growing institution. This remote, high-level position is crucial to driving the growth and creative direction of the institution through a variety of methods.
The Director of Brand & Creative will set the vision for the AOEU brand and partner with internal stakeholders and external partners to ensure consistent messaging and visual language through all touchpoints. Ideal candidates must have a background in graphic design, brand identities, and UI/UX and be skilled in providing design and creative direction. This role requires a highly strategic thinker with a proven track record for leading efforts to execute across digital, social media, motion, print, and events.
Structured as a leadership position within the institution, the Director of Brand & Creative will participate in a broad range of institutional discussions and decision-making. This position requires the ability to thrive in a fast-paced team environment.
The Art of Education University | Who We Are |
Our mission is simple, driven, and inspiring: We grow amazing art teachers by providing rigorous, relevant, and engaging professional development at every stage of their career.
AOEU is an innovative and fast-growing institution of higher education serving art teachers around the world. In 2019, we became the first homegrown graduate university in the state of Iowa in 50 years and the world’s first “university for life,” serving art educators throughout an entire lifetime of learning.
The Art of Education University serves tens of thousands of students, readers, and customers around the U.S. and in over 40 countries. Our Magazine is read more than 800,000 times each month, our events are attended by over 4,000 art educators annually, and we serve over 2,000 graduate students each year.
Our culture is at the heart of our success as an institution. We believe in a drama-free environment that upholds the ideals of Radical Candor©. We believe that your success is our success. You will always know where you stand and be challenged to grow and stretch yourself in ways you never imagined.
LEARN MORE: www.theartofeducation.edu
The Details | Director of Brand & Creative |
- Manage the overall institutional brand, including the setting of style guides, brand guidelines, brand campaigns, brand vision, and value proposition for the short- as well as long-term.
- Oversee the design direction and execution of all creative assets for customer touchpoints, including ownership of product UI/UX.
- Lead, develop, and implement an end-to-end product and platform design system that emphasizes and scales the design thinking methodology.
- Partner with product, software engineering, and curriculum leaders to develop low-to-high fidelity mock-ups for use in product development.
- Perform user research, using qualitative and quantitative methods, to inform brand, creative, and interaction designs.
- Create digital synergies between content and platform design that accentuates their combined value proposition.
- Introduce and implement the use of design thinking across the institution.
- Work closely with the marketing team to develop content for targeted campaigns, sales, and unique growth and product marketing initiatives that are approachable and meet the specific needs of our audience.
- Develop original breakthrough ideas for various touchpoints across digital, experiential, e-commerce, social media, motion, print, and events.
- Inspire, empower, energize, and manage a team of designers, writers, editors, freelancers, researchers, and agency partners.
- Create and sustain a culture of excellence as a leader of creatives and partner of teams across the institution.
- Work with product, academics, marketing, sales, and success teams to design programs that effectively create brand awareness, new pipelines, and successful touchpoints to advance sales across all segments of the institution.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- 5+ years of design leadership experience, with an emphasis on brand and interaction design
- Strong design instincts, a deep understanding of interaction design, user-centered experience design, and creative process fundamentals
- Experience integrating design workflows with agile product development teams
- Previous experience creating successful brand and creative strategies
- High aptitude for problem-solving and collaboration to effectively work with other leaders, customers, and stakeholders to evolve AOEU’s messaging
- Ability to understand business metrics and translate institutional goals and objectives into digital experiences
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills with the ability to create strong, lasting relationships
- Proven ability to develop effective marketing content for a specific audience with differing needs
- Demonstrated capacity to manage and optimize existing brand campaigns
- Ability to provide creative direction and feedback while also nurturing and developing creative talent
- Strong leadership skills in strategic planning, vision execution, and collaborative team management
The duties of this position are typical of those performed in a home office setting with normal ranges of temperature. The majority of tasks will be performed while sitting at a desk.
- Considerable concentration and focus throughout the day
- Ability to sit for extended periods
- Ability to lift items such as laptops, monitors, and the like
- When traveling:
- Ability to lift or push a suitcase
- Ability to carry and lift up to 25-50 lbs of presentation materials for customers, conference presentations, etc.
VISUAL & TACTILE REQUIREMENTS
- Ability to view computer screens for significant periods. The Art of Education University is an online university. Therefore, 95-98% of one’s time will be on or using technology.
- Ability to use a laptop keyboard with accuracy
- Ability to hear at normal levels and through electronic devices, such as laptops, earbuds, phones, and the like
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree is preferred
- Five or more years of experience in a similar position
- Experience working in a remote capacity is strongly preferred
- Experience in a leadership role and managing others
Compensation and Benefits
Structured as a full-time exempt position. Compensation is commensurate with education and experience. Payroll is issued on a semi-monthly basis paid on the 15th and last business day of each month.
- Health, dental, and vision plan with 100% premium coverage for individual employees and up to 70% contribution for other coverage options with no waiting period (first month after hire)
- 401K plan with 4% match, no waiting or vesting period
- Unlimited, self-managed PTO plus 10 paid holidays
- Coworking space or home office equipment stipend
- Fully remote, flexible schedule
- 8-weeks paid parental leave
- Lifelong Learning Fund for professional development and educational reimbursement
Applicants should complete the application form linked below and are required to submit a short 1-3 minute video explaining why they are uniquely qualified for the position. Failure to submit a video will result in automatic elimination from the application process.
Candidates who make it to Round 2 of the application process will be required to complete a packet for review before their scheduled interview time.
Finalists will have one final culture interview with a member of the senior leadership team.
All applicants and candidates will be notified of the status of their application.
- Interested applicants should complete the application and upload a current resume as soon as possible.
- Candidates selected for an interview will be notified as applications are submitted.
- Anticipated position start date: August 16, 2021
How to Apply | This Is Me |
The Art of Education University is committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all employees and all applicants for employment. The Art of Education University will not discriminate against employees or applicants on the basis of actual or perceived age, race, color, national origin/ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation, and related conditions), physical or mental disability, genetic information (including testing and characteristics), veteran status, uniformed service member status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local laws. The Art of Education University is a participant of E-Verify.