Instructional Designer | The Profession |
Do you excel at collaborating with others to facilitate dynamic design processes to create effective, quality courses and programs? Are you a confident leader but also willing to grow and expand beyond your comfort zone?
The Art of Education University (AOEU) is seeking an Instructional Designer to work closely with faculty and subject matter experts to research and incorporate current industry trends, proven instructional strategies, and quality measures into the curriculum. Instructional Designers at AOEU are also responsible for maintaining the integrity of curriculum mapping, curriculum reviews, hotfixes, and assessment. This position is complex and, therefore, will be as rewarding as it is challenging.
Curriculum Department | What We Believe |
We develop a relevant, rigorous, and engaging curriculum that is directly applicable to art teachers everywhere.
- Great learning is relevant, flowing naturally from pedagogy to classroom application.
- Great learning is engaging and inspiring, blending curiosity and fun.
- Great learning is creative and exists through personal reflection and practical application opportunities.
- Great learning is rigorous, substantive, and void of busywork.
- Great learning is personalized, creating a pathway from learning to everyday life.
- Great learning takes place within a community, in a continuous fashion, over a lifetime.
The Art of Education University | Who We Are |
Our mission is simple, driven, and inspiring: “We grow amazing art teachers by providing rigorous, relevant, and engaging professional development at every stage of their career.”
AOEU is an innovative and fast-growing institution of higher education serving art teachers around the world. In 2019, we became the first homegrown graduate university in the state of Iowa in 50 years and the world’s first “University for Life,” serving art educators throughout an entire lifetime of learning.
The Art of Education University serves tens of thousands of students, readers, and customers around the U.S. and in over 40 countries. Our magazine is read more than 800,000 times each month, our events are attended by over 4,000 art educators annually, and we serve over 2,000 graduate students each year.
Our culture is at the heart of our success as an institution. We believe in a drama-free environment that upholds the ideals of Radical Candor©. We believe that your success is our success. You will always know where you stand and you will be challenged to grow and stretch yourself in ways you never imagined.
LEARN MORE: www.theartofeducation.edu
The Details | Instructional Designer |
- Executes curriculum creation and annual reviews in alignment with AOEU’s Curriculum Development Manual and institutional philosophies
- Cultivates close, collaborative, and professional working relationships with faculty and subject matter experts while providing expert advice and leadership throughout the course creation and review process
- Closely monitors and facilitates the entire course development and review process with the assigned subject matter expert, including regular meetings to ensure the project timeline
- Attends on-site content creation opportunities as needed
- Assists or leads special projects related to the LMS or learning technologies as assigned
- Provides recommendations for process improvements to the LMS
- Builds and maintains course content within the LMS platform using best practices in navigation and design
- Harnesses engagement strategies to translate learning outcomes into high-impact learning designs across multiple modalities, integrating the appropriate Bloom’s taxonomy as well as industry standards and best practices
- Investigates and recommends innovative approaches, strategies, and technologies to solve instructional problems
- Leads investigation and resolution of ongoing course corrections and improvements
- Keeps accurate electronic records for all design projects and submits records when required
- Audits and updates the curriculum design manual and supports annually per best practices in distance delivery and andragogical principles
- Ensures the instructional quality of courses, including assessment mapping, credit hour integrity, and overall alignment between course activities and learning outcomes
- Provides expertise based on accepted educational practice in assessment planning, mapping, rubric development, evaluation, and execution
- Conducts quality assurance on the final product to ensure accuracy and functionality
- Assists in the creation of the annual assessment calendar and is responsible for selecting and preparing chosen artifacts for faculty assessment
- Creates the program assessment rubric with assistance from faculty
- Leads the program assessment review analysis with faculty to determine how to amend programs for continuous improvement
- Attends required training and meetings
- Other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Demonstrates experience and application of instructional design principles, learning theory, online learning strategies, and technology integration
- Concrete understanding of the theory and body of knowledge of distance learning education models, adult learning styles, and curriculum methodology required
- Strong attention to detail and highly organized with the ability to managed numerous projects and deadlines simultaneously
- Able to make decisions and work independently with exceptional problem-solving and analytical skills
- Able to gather, analyze, evaluate, and integrate information electronically
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills required
- Knowledge of intellectual property, Fair Use, FERPA, and Section 508 compliance
- Able to thrive in a positive, team-oriented manner with a variety of people
- Able to read, analyze, and interpret common journals and legal documents, respond to common inquiries or complaints, and present information to others
- Able to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations
- Able to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions
- Able to present facts to faculty for the departmental response
- Able to deal with a variety of information presented in oral or written formats
- Able to deal with non-verbal behavior in assisting with problem resolution
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Frequently required to perform repetitive motions (e.g., use of computer keyboards) and participate in audio and/or video calls
- Occasionally required to make presentations
- May involve sitting or standing at a desk for extended periods of time
VISUAL & TACTILE REQUIREMENTS
- Close vision and distance vision
- Ability to view computer screens for significant periods of time. The Art of Education University is an online institution, therefore 95-98% of one’s time will be spent on technology.
- Ability to hear at normal levels and through electronic devices such as laptops, earbuds, phones, and the like.
- Master’s degree in Instructional Design, Curriculum & Instruction, Educational Technology or Education/Technology required
- Experience working with faculty or subject matter experts preferred
- Experience with D2L’s Brightspace preferred
- Secure and reliable access to the Internet with the capability to support audio and video calls required
Compensation & Benefits
- Full-time, exempt, salaried position
- Compensation commensurate with education and experience
- Remote work with some travel required. Travel expenses are reimbursed per AOEU's travel policy.
- 401K benefits will be available for employee election.
- Group healthcare plans are available. AOEU will contribute 100% for full-time, employee-only coverage. Family coverage is available at an additional cost.
- An up-to-date technology suite is provided.
- Unlimited, self-managed PTO included. Extended vacation must be pre-arranged. Flexibility exists to build a custom schedule as long as responsibilities are fulfilled and careful planning and communication are evident. Greater detail is provided in AOEU’s self-managed PTO policy.
Individuals interested in applying for the position of Instructional Designer need to complete the application form linked below. As part of the application process, all applicants are required to submit a short 1-3 minute video explaining a little about themselves and why they believe they are uniquely qualified for the position. Failure to submit a video will automatically eliminate applicants from the application process.
Candidates progressing to Round 2 of the process will be required to complete a packet for review prior to participating in a scheduled interview.
Finalists will participate in an interview with the President of the University.
All applicants and candidates will be notified of the status of their application for the position.
- Interested applicants should apply by October 30, 2020.
- Interviews will be held in November 2020.
- The start date is December 1, 2020.
How to Apply | This Is Me |
APPLY HERE: https://theartofed.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=81